Download iOS App Download Android App

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and are studying at school or college (not university) in England, or on a training course, including unpaid apprenticeships.

There are two types of Bursary Fund;

-Vulnerable Student bursary which can be worth up to £1,200, depending on your circumstances and benefits.

-Discretionary bursary which allows you to receive financial help if you do not qualify for a vulnerable student bursary. Your education or training provider decides how much you get and what it’s used for.

To receive a bursary fund you must be under 19 at the start of the academic year and studying at school, college or an unpaid training course.

You could get up to £1,200 if at least 1 of the following applies: you’re in or recently left local authority care, you get Income Support or Universal Credit in your name, you’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name.

Education and training providers set their own criteria for discretionary bursaries, eg they might look at family income.

A bursary fund can be received , as a travel card, free meals, books  or paid in full or in instalments. Some providers also offer one-off payments to cover study trips or travel for university interviews.

For more information and how to claim visit